Carlos Ghosn: Ex-Nissan boss granted bail, say Japanese media

0
29

Lawyers for former Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn say he has been granted bail by a Tokyo court, Japanese media reports.

The shock decision would see the auto executive released after more than three months in detention.

The court reportedly set bail at one billion yen (£6.8m; $8.9m) and reports said he could be released as early as Tuesday.

Mr Ghosn has been charged with financial misconduct but has consistently denied the charges.

He appointed a new legal team last month. On Monday the head of his defence, Junichiro Hironaka, said he was optimistic Mr Ghosn would be granted bail.

No immediate details were give on his bail conditions. The court had previously denied bail on the grounds that he posed a flight risk.

  • Carlos Ghosn and Japan’s ‘hostage justice’ system
  • Ghosn says ‘plot and treason’ behind arrest

Bail is rarely granted in Japan without a confession and the length of Mr Ghosn’s detention had drawn some criticism.

The 64-year-old has been in custody since his arrest last November on allegations he understated his income at Nissan. He has also been charged with breach of trust.

Mr Ghosn, a towering figure of the car industry, was the architect of the Renault-Nissan alliance. He brought Mitsubishi on board in 2016.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here