SuperValu scoop prizes in 10 categories at prestigious Checkout Awards
July 4th, 2018 – SuperValu has won a total of 10 awards at this year’s Checkout ‘Best in Fresh’ Awards. The annual Checkout ‘Best In Fresh’ awards are now in their twelfth year. They were established to reward excellence in fresh food retailing in the Irish grocery retail sector, and to recognise the high standards in categories such as fruit and veg, fresh meat and fish, bakery, dairy and in-store equipment.
At the awards ceremony at the Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin, SuperValu and Centra stores won awards in the following ‘Best In Fresh’ categories:
- ‘Best Local Champion’ – Scally’s SuperValu Clonakilty
- ‘Ireland’s Freshest Food to Go Offering’ – SuperValu Glanmire
- ‘Best Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Offering’ – Dano’s SuperValu Mallow
- ‘Excellence in Fresh Food Retailing in a Small Supermarket’ – Ryan’s SuperValu Killmallock
- ‘Ireland’s Best Dairy Offering’ – Quish’s SuperValu Ballincollig
- ‘Excellence in Fresh Food Retailing in a Medium Supermarket’ – SuperValu Castletownbere
- ‘Ireland’s Best Fresh Fish Seafood Offering’ – Tarpey’s SuperValu Cavan
- ‘Best Presentation of Fresh Food’ – Garvey’s SuperValu Tralee
- ‘Excellence in Fresh Food Retailing in a Large Supermarket’ – Garvey’s SuperValu Tralee
- ‘Ireland’s Best Fresh Meat Offering’ – Smith’s SuperValu, Johnstown, Navan
Commenting on the awards, Martin Kelleher, Managing Director, SuperValu said, “The ‘Best in Fresh’ awards celebrate the very best in Irish grocery retailing and we are delighted to win 10 out of 25 awards this year. This great achievement is testament to the expertise of staff in our stores and the high level of training that they receive. The awards also acknowledge SuperValu retailers’ ongoing commitment to delivering an unrivalled fresh food range at great-value prices and providing a tailored offering for the communities that they serve, while continuing to support Irish suppliers.”
The awards, hosted by Checkout magazine, recognise retailers for their outstanding contribution to fresh food retailing across some of Ireland’s most innovative retail groups and independent retailers, including multiples, symbols, discounters and non-affiliated stores.
SuperValu sources from over 1,800 Irish suppliers – more than any other grocery retailer in the Irish market. SuperValu serves over 2.7 million customers every week and has 217 stores nationwide, with 75% of everything on its shelves sourced in Ireland. SuperValu continues to source locally wherever possible, which helps to sustain 30,000 jobs in the Irish economy.